Another brainchild of the NYPD was to replace the Desk Officer Lieutenant with a police officer. This was not accepted well by the senior lieutenants who now had to go on patrol duties. After about 5 years I was assigned as a SHO and responsible for making necessary notations in the large precinct blotter. These blotters were stored in the precinct basement and it was rumored that President Abraham Lincoln had visited the precinct and signed the log book.
I was able to check the entries for December 7,1941 and there was no mention of Pearl Harbor. I think I worked steady 4x12 tours with Ralph M as the 124 man and Kenny Mac as the TS operator. We had a good team and this would prepare me for my next assignment: Sergeant.
It is reported that most police officers get burnt out after 2 years as they respond to the same conditions on a daily or weekly basis. I first went upstairs and asked a decorated detective how I could become a detective. He said if you don’t have a Rabbi you got to find the door.
A rabbi, or in police jargon a hook, is someone who can influence your status in the department. He may be someone politically connected with city hall or a high ranking officer or chief who can get you a good assignment. It can be an assignment to the detective division or a transfer to a better precinct. It was almost impossible to get into the aviation unit, harbor patrol or mounted police. Often it took only a phone call.
Next I decided to study on a daily basis for the upcoming sergeants exam. Well, I scored high and me and 31 other officers were selected. We went to the police academy and after lunch we were told that only 16 would be promoted as a result of the NYC fiscal crisis. I had missed by 3 numbers and would have to wait about 5 years to get my Stripes.
After many delays I was informed that the City would allow the promotions to sergeant to begin again. I think that the 16 who had been sent back to commands would now be attending the BMOC, basic management orientation course. This would be two weeks before assignment to a new command or Precinct.
Before attending I went to my old friend in the 30th Precinct, Louie the tailor who wanted to be the one who would sew my stripes on my uniforms. My partner and I always checked on Louie at his store on w157 st and Broadway. He was a good source of information and a trusted friend.
Louie had told me that during WW2, he had survived numerous Nazi concentration camps by telling the infamous Dr. Josef Menegle, “the Angel of Death,” that he was a tailor. He remembered that a fellow inmate had told him to say those words that would save his life. Mine were sewn on perfectly as he had learned this skill sewing on insignias on the Nazi uniforms.
Before I left I asked a veteran sergeant what to expect in my new assignment. He replied you have been a sergeant running this precinct for the last 4 years. Really, I had had very good Lieutenants and sergeants who would prepare me for my next step. The clerical officer told me that I was the first officer to be promoted to sergeant from the 30th, in as long as he could remember.
As soon as you arrive at the BMOC, you are handed your new gold shield and addressed as sergeant thereafter by the instructors, usually detectives and special police officers assigned to the police academy. One of the first things you learn is that you are no longer just responsible for your actions but rather the actions of those you supervise, a vicarious liability.
Second, if you go looking for trouble you will probably find it, and third get yourself a veteran chauffeur as he knows which jobs are important. Sometimes you just have to let the boys play as they do in basketball.
During these two weeks, you eventually find out what precinct you are going to be assigned to. I was lucky to have an old sergeant friend now in Personnel. He told me you are going to the 90th in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Be careful with the Hasidim and you will be alright. Next stop: the 90th located on 211 Union Ave., about 5 miles from my residence in Maspeth, Queens.
On January 31,1979 I was promoted to Sergeant and issued the gold shield with the number 1604 and assigned to the 90th precinct in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. My last partner Connie K’s favorite # was 604. He was a US Navy veteran in the mold of Bumber Morgan. He often made meal money on the precinct basement pool table. A fellow 30th police officer, now a sergeant in personnel, he arranged for my new assignment, He was my Italian Rabbi.
Note: I would carry 1604 for the next 14 years and I always believed Connie 604 was my guardian angel. Sadly, he died shortly after his retirement.
###


No comments:
Post a Comment